Monday, October 31, 2011

Butternut Coconut Curry Soup : : Yum



Yesterday, being the day before Halloween, I felt the full crisp warmth of Fall hit me.  Pumpkin carving, baking, costume fittings and leaves crunching under my feet when I walked the dog.  I had an overwhelming urge to make soup...and not just any soup, but one using the butternut squash that has been sitting in my fruit/veg platter since last weekend.  So, before we headed out to the store to stock up on last minute Halloween supplies, I poked a few holes in the skin of my squash and threw it in the oven to roast while we were gone.  When we arrived home about an hour and a half later the house had that warm, nutty sweet smell that only a butternut will produce.

After a quick peeling session and throwing a little of this and a little of that in the blender I had a delicious, creamy, spicy warming soup.  I had mine with a salad and some toasted bread.

Chris and the boys, on the other hand, were looking pretty suspicious of the creamy orange concoction.
I asked everyone to at least have one taste and then if they didn't like it the could make something else. One by one they took their spoons and dipped them into the soup, and one by one they wrinkled their noses and said they would make their own dinners.  They decided on black bean burgers, which I am sure were good...but no way were they even close to this soup!

Sounds good to me...Now I can freeze half of the soup to have on a rainy day when I don't feel like cooking.


Here's the recipe...
Inspired by the Happy Herbivore cookbook's Sweet and spicy Butternut Soup, which I have made and love!

Butternut Coconut Curry Soup

4-6 servings depending on the size of your squash



  • 1 med to large butternut squash, roasted.
  • 1 can of green chilies, drained
  • 1 can of light coconut milk
  • 1/2ish cup of veg broth or non dairy milk (for thinning)
  • 2 Tbs coconut oil
  • 2 Tbs green curry paste
  • Salt to taste
  • Hot sauce to taste 



  1. Roast your squash for an hour or so...depending on size.  Then peel the skin and remove the seeds.
  2. Transfer squash to a blender with chilies, coconut oil, curry paste, and salt.
  3. Add broth or other non dairy milk as needed to achieve the consistency you like, I like mine pour-able but not watery.
  4. If your soup is still hot at this point you can serve straight from the blender, otherwise pour it into a saucepan to heat up before serving.
  5. Drizzle some hot sauce on top after you dish up.  

Till soon
A

No comments:

Post a Comment