Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Food : : A Typical Day


Totally unrelated photo of C and I in Sausalito last week.

I know what some of you are thinking.. "O.K. Amanda, this vegan thing is all well and good, but what the heck do you actually eat on a daily basis!?"

So I thought I would break it down and do a play by play of my food and snacks for an entire day. Here is what I ate on Wednesday...

Breakfast:

  •  Glass of water with lemon (alkalinizing...most folks are pretty acidic when we wake in the am)
  •  Bowl of oatmeal (3/4ish cup oats + water) with walnuts, cinnamon, coconut oil, and agave. 
  •  Smoothie, which Chris makes for us every morning.  The Savarino Standard recipe is: kale,  carrot, apple, cucumber, blueberries, chia seeds, vitamin c and enough water to make it drinkable.

A.M. Snack
  • Water
  • Granola bar -my homemade recipe with lots of nuts, seeds, oats, almond meal, and flax meal.
  • Apple slices with almond butter

Lunch
  • Water
  • Baked ginger tofu (leftovers, recipe from The Kind Diet)
  • Brown rice noodles in peanut sauce with shredded carrots and herbs. (leftovers, my own concoction)
  • Green salad - Caesar dressing homemade from The Kind Diet

Snack
  • Water
  • Green Tea
  • Corn chips with hummus
  • Carrot sticks dipped in vegan Caesar dressing - homemade from The Kind Diet

Dinner
  • Water
  • Spaghetti squash tossed with garlic and parsley 
  • Sauteed sweet peas in garlic and vege broth
  • Green Salad with avacado, carrots, zucchini and Caesar dressing 
  • Cheezy Toast - Whole grain bread spread with a mixture of nutritional yeast, olive oil, salt and garlic. Pop under the broiler until browned and crispy.

After dinner snack
  • Water
  • Granola bar (okay, maybe 2 granola bars)

So, that's a random day sampling of what I eat.  As far as quantity I just eat as much as I can, because when  living on plants limiting quantities is a no no (this does NOT apply to sugary, fatty, processed junk...even if it IS vegan!).  I would be calorie deficient, and therefor hungry, if I limited my portions of whole plant foods.

I never feel deprived.  I eat delicious food all the live long day.  For me it was just a matter of throwing out all the unfriendly food from the pantry and fridge so that no matter what I grab for a meal or a snack I know it's good for me!

'Till soon, 
A

No comments:

Post a Comment